Modifying a divorce agreement typically involves making changes to the terms of the original divorce decree or settlement. Circumstances may change after a divorce, and modifications may become necessary to address new developments or ensure the agreement remains fair and appropriate. With child support or custody orders, such changes could include:

  • Job loss
  • Illness or disability
  • Relocation

With child support orders, the standard is a “material change in circumstances,” which is generally a 15% deviation from the support guidelines. If you are the parent receiving the support payments, you may go to the Child Support Division of the local county attorney’s office for help. If you are the paying parent, you may file a petition to change the child support order in the same court that issued the original order.